Review: 11 ways to reduce next year’s tax bill

Hopefully you’ve been able to close the books on last year’s taxes by now. But that doesn’t mean you should ignore them for another year. Now’s the time to make sure that you are doing everything you can to minimize your taxes in the future.

This article has some suggestions on how to make sure you pay less to the IRS next year. The suggestions range from the correct and innocuous (contribute to an IRA or make sure to deduct any large medical expenses) to the wildly impractical (buy a house or install solar panels).

Yes, you certainly get tax credits for installing solar panels, and the mortgage interest deduction is certainly very nice, but you need to keep sight of the big picture. You want to take all of the deductions you are entitled to, but you shouldn’t do something just for the write-off.

For instance, the credit for installing solar energy systems allows you to write off up to 30% of the installation costs. If that makes installing solar panels more attractive, that’s great (that’s the whole point of the tax credit), but you shouldn’t do it just for the tax benefits. You’re still on the hook for the other 70%.

A lot of tax planning is pretty simple.

  • If you’re spending from your investment portfolio, make sure you’re taking your money out from the right accounts.
  • If you make charitable deductions, think about timing your contributions to have the largest benefit, or think about using a donor advised fund.
  • Make sure that you your asset location squared away.
  • Make sure you’re contributing the right type of retirement accounts, and if you’re likely to be in a lower than normal tax bracket this year, start thinking about doing a Roth conversion.

It should go without saying that taxes are complicated. And everyone’s situation is going to be a little bit different. But you owe it to yourself to make sure you don’t pay any more than you need to.

To find out how a financial advisor can help you with this, as well as other areas, download our ebook The Value of Financial Advice

McLean Asset Management Corporation (MAMC) is a SEC registered investment adviser. The content of this publication reflects the views of McLean Asset Management Corporation (MAMC) and sources deemed by MAMC to be reliable. There are many different interpretations of investment statistics and many different ideas about how to best use them. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The information provided is for educational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell securities. There are no warranties, expressed or implied, as to accuracy, completeness, or results obtained from any information on this presentation. Indexes are not available for direct investment. All investments involve risk.

The information throughout this presentation, whether stock quotes, charts, articles, or any other statements regarding market or other financial information, is obtained from sources which we, and our suppliers believe to be reliable, but we do not warrant or guarantee the timeliness or accuracy of this information. Neither our information providers nor we shall be liable for any errors or inaccuracies, regardless of cause, or the lack of timeliness of, or for any delay or interruption in the transmission there of to the user. MAMC only transacts business in states where it is properly registered, or excluded or exempted from registration requirements. It does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. The information contained in this presentation does not take into account your particular investment objectives, financial situation, or needs, and you should, in considering this material, discuss your individual circumstances with professionals in those areas before making any decisions.

McLean Asset Management